Archives

Monthly Archive for: ‘May, 2012’

Łancut

Mon21

Łańcut Castleis a 17th-century palace in Poland, it houses a large museum. It lies on the fringe of the Carpathian foothills, by an old trade route which linked Western Europe and Ruthenia from medieval times. The site was originally occupied by castle which was rebuilt in the second half of the 18th century by Izabela Lubomirska. Apart from remodelling the place, …

Read More

Krzyztopor

June22

Krzyżtopór  is a  castle located in the village of Ujazd in southern Poland. It was built by Krzysztof Ossolinski in 1587-1645, however it was heavily demolished during the war with Sweden in 1655. The castle is a perfect example of the so-called palazzo in fortezza – a palace and fortress in one. The total size of the complex is 1.3 hectares; …

Read More

Warsaw Citadel

DSC26451

The Citadel was built in Warsaw by order of Tsar Nicholas I after Polish November Uprising in 1830. The fortress in a shape of a pentagon i a massive brick walled structure enclosing an area of 36 hectares. Its construction required the demolition of 76 residential buildings and the forcible resettlement of 15,000 inhabitants. Some 5,000 Russian troops were stationed there  and over …

Read More

Polish Army Museum

DSC2952

Polish Army Museum was created in 1920 in Warsaw. It occupies a part of the building of the Polish National Museum. It has the largest collection of military objects in Poland. The courtyard of the museum houses armoured vehicles, aircrafts and other military equipment, mainly Polish and Soviet from the II World War. The museum concentrates on the military history of Poland since …

Read More

Masovian village museum

DSC 91341

The Museum of the countryside is an open-air museum and is located in the suburbs of Sierpc in the valley of the Sierpienica river. The village is made up of 11 households with cottages, barns and granaries. There is also a windmill, a blacksmith and even a chapel. All comes from different regions of Masovia. Established in 1971, the Museum of …

Read More

Ostromecko

DSC 9023

Ostromecko is a village in the administrative district in Bydgoszcz county, in north-central Poland. The palace was built in 1832-1848 but many owners added new rooms to it over the years. The palace is positioned in a magnificent park with lots of greenery.  Steeped in history, as throughout Polish freedom fighting, Napoleon’s Army and the Prussion Army have all used …

Read More

Montepulciano

New1461

  Montepulciano, located in Tuscany, Italy is one of the most attractive hills towns in Tuscany. It is built on a ridge of Monte Poliziano in the province of Sienna in Tuscany. It is the ancient Etruscan city of Nocera Alfaterna. In the Middle Ages it was under the control of Florence, but was conquered by Sienna in 1260. The …

Read More

Spinalonga

Kreta76

The island of Spinalonga, officially known as Kalydon, is located in the Gulf of Elounda in north-eastern Crete. The island has been used as a leper colony in the 20th century. During the fifty four years of the colony , roughly faur hundred people lived there. But there is more to the island than the misery of this terrible illness. It’s …

Read More

Lithuanian Kaunas

DSC 88881

Kaunas, also known as Kovno is the second largest city in Lithuania. It is located at the confluence of the two largest Lithuanian rivers, the Nemunas and the Neris. Much of Old Town still needs renovating, it’s well worth a visit.  There are also some fine examples of 20s and 30s Functionalist architecture and  some quite unique museums. In the 14th century, a …

Read More

Gomera forest

DSC 7027

At the center of Gomera island there is an ancient, foggy rainforest, the National Park of  Garajonay were the very old moss cloaked trees take the most fantastic forms.  Conditions on La Gomera are perfect for the Laurisilva which need year round subtropical conditions with mild temperatures and high humidity. Laurel trees fossils show that many of the species  were thriving millions …

Read More

Lidzbark Warminski

DSC 8621

The town in the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship in Poland, the capital of Lidzbark County  was originally known as Lecbarg until being conquered in 1240 by the Teutonic Knights, who called it Heilsberg. In 1466, the town was integrated into the Polish province of Royal Prussia. Famous polish astronomer, Nicoloaus Copernicus lived at the castle for several years, and wrote part of his De …

Read More

Nile trips

DSC 26631

Locals come out to the crusing boats in the rowing boats and sell variaty of the goods to passengers. That is a perfect opportunity not only to support the local craftsmen but also to take some colourful pictures from the deck. They would toss their goods on board the ship from below, and trust the tourists to throw them back …

Read More