Considered a place of wonders and revelations, the Holy Mount of Grabarka is considered to be the holiest location in Poland for Orthodox Christians. Orthodox Christians account for little more than one percent of Poland’s population of 38 million. The site of the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord set picturesquely in the midst of a deep forest is also home to the women’s monastery of Ss. Marta and Maria. The most prominent and well-known feature of Grabarka is the forest of crosses surrounding the Church, all brought to the Mount by pilgrims. The Holy Mount of Grabarka has been a center for pilgrimage for Orthodox Christians from Poland and other countries since the 18th century. The history of the Mount dates back to the 13th century, when during a Tartar invasion an icon of Jesus Christ was taken from the nearby church and hidden in the forests of Grabarka to prevent its theft. The Holy Hill of Grabarka is believed to have saved people from a cholera epidemic in the 18th century. To commemorate this miracle, the local people decided to build a chapel at Grabarka. In 1884-1895 a new church was built here. The Holy Mount of Grabarka is situated in the eastern part of Poland, in the Podlaskie Voivodship.