The town of Łęknica is situated in the Polish part of the historic Upper Lusatia region, in the broad valley of the Neisse river. A bridge across the river connects it with the opposite German town of Bad Muskau. The Muskau Park with the magnificent castle in its grounds is the largest and one of the most famous English gardens in Central Europe, stretching along both sides of the German–Polish border on the Lusatian Neisse. The park was laid out from 1815. The works involved remodelling the Baroque “Old Castle” – actually a former castle gate – and the construction of a Gothic Revival chapel, an English cottage, several bridges, and an orangery.